Saint-Amant-de-Boixe : Old abbey
CharenteReference
PA00104483
Latitude
45.79616976
Longitude
0.1337761
Address
6 Place de l'Église 16330 Saint-Amant-de-Boixe
Construction era
12e siècle;13e siècle
Protection date
1935/05/26 : classé MH ; 2008/02/27 : inscrit MH ; 2008/10/21 : inscrit MH
Protection cause
Les ruines du cloître et des bâtiments abbatiaux : classement par décret du 26 mai 1935 - Le chai (cad. G 574) , ainsi que le sol de cette parcelle ; les vestiges de l'ancienne porterie (cad. G 575 à 577) ainsi que le sol de ces parcelles ; le sol des parcelle suivantes pouvant contenir des vestiges archéologiques ou correspondant à d'anciens jardins : G 555 pour partie, 578 BND (biens non délimités lot n° 1) , 580, ainsi qu'une partie de la parcelle G 1168 attenante aux bâtiments abbatiaux : inscription par arrêté du 27 février 2008 - Le sol des parcelles pouvant contenir des vestiges archéologiques ou correspondant à d'anciens jardins, situés aux abords de l'abbaye (cad. G 536 à 539, 573, 578 BND lot n° 2, 579, 1037, 1038) : inscription par arrêté du 21 octobre 2008
Description
The abbey was founded by the hermit Amantius, born around 520, which settled in the forest of Boixe at the request of Saint-Cybard. In 988, Arnaud Manze, the count of Angoulême, gave the monastic establishment to the bishop of Angoulême and offered him many possessions. In 1125, the relics of the saint were transferred to the new church. In the 13th century, a fire destroyed the abbey buildings, damaging the southern wall of the nave and the bedside. Large works have been carried out on the choir, the crypt and the vaults of the cloister. The choir was finished in the 15th or 16th century and linked to the rest of the church. During the Hundred Years War, the abbey was fortified, with an elevation of the coverage of the nave and the construction of a strong chamber above the large northern Absidiole. A staircase has also been added. After the destruction caused by the wars of religion, work was undertaken in the cloister. In the 18th century, the east and southern wings were demolished, while the west wing was transformed into a presbyteral house. In 1790, the West wing became the common house and the rest was sold as a national property. Renovations took place in the 1860s, including the construction of the arrow, the restoration of the arms of the transept and the nave, as well as the demolition of the Gothic chapel and the abbey buildings located at the southwest corner of the church.