Bourges : Hermitage called "incarnation" or "Notre-Dame de Grâce" of the old monastery of Notre-Dame and Saint-Joseph du Mont-Carmel
CherReference
PA18000054
Latitude
47.08929159
Longitude
2.39154279
Address
18 Boulevard Gambetta 18000 Bourges
Construction era
1ère moitié 17e siècle
Protection date
2011/12/22 : inscrit MH
Protection cause
L'ermitage en totalité (cad. HV 925) : inscription par arrêté du 22 décembre 2011
Description
The rule of Saint Thérèse d'Avila stipulated that the nuns should have the possibility of retiring in oratories in the great outdoors to meditate. To respect these precepts, the carmelites who arrived in Bourges in 1617 built three hermitages in their enclosure. The first was behind the church, the second near the Hôtel-Dieu gardens, and the last, which is the only one still standing, is located near the city walls, north of the enclosure. The latter was erected in 1625 thanks to a donation from Madame de Marillac, made in 1620.