Picture of Ruins of the Château de Temniac - MOSSOT - © Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr) Picture of Ruins of the Château de Temniac - Sous licence Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr) - Par MOSSOT - © Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr)

Sarlat-la-Canéda : Ruins of the Château de Temniac

Dordogne

Reference

PA00082923

Latitude

44.91133333

Longitude

1.214416667

Address

153 Temniac 24200 Sarlat-la-Canéda

Construction era

15e siècle

Protection date

1969/12/11 : classé MH

Protection cause

Château de Temniac (ruines) (cad. AS 155) : classement par arrêté du 11 décembre 1969

Description

The castle belonged to the counts of Périgord in 760, which sold it in 890 at the Sarlat monastery. The monks have enlarged him. With the creation of the bishopric of Sarlat in 1316, the castle became the property of the bishops of Sarlat, who kept it until the Revolution. The struggles against the English left the castle in ruins, and in 1424, it was rebuilt. During the wars of religion, in 1562, the castle was burnt down, then rebuilt in 1593. In 1652, it was looted and destroyed by the army of the Prince of Condé, but was restored in 1662 to become a comfortable house in the center of a quadrilateral delimited by a wall. The south-eastern tower was replaced by a hexagonal tower, with a staircase giving access to the castle. In 1683, he became the first seminar of the diocese of Sarlat. Confiscated in 1794, it was sold and used as an agricultural building, ending up deteriorating. The castle has a quadrilateral enclosure with two round towers at the angles and a square tower. Originally, residential buildings and outbuildings were backed by the ramparts. The entrance, located on the north side, was protruding from the wall and included two doors at the ends of a vaulted passage. At each corner of this entrance were two small scalables on Redans' Culots. The northeast round tower houses a tank, while an old castral chapel is built against part of the southern ramparts. The 15th century castle, rectangular in shape, is in the center of the enclosure and has a round staircase tower on its east face. The southeast round tower has been transformed into a square tower, added by a small building built on the top of the ramparts.

Close monuments