Reference
PA00095134
Latitude
44.708808510948
Longitude
1.3079007165767
Address
5015 L'Abbaye 46300 Léobard
Construction era
13e siècle;15e siècle;17e siècle
Protection date
1991/05/14 : classé MH
Protection cause
Abbaye Nouvelle : vestiges constitués par les restes de l'église, les ruines des bâtiments conventuels ainsi que le sol et le sous-sol des parcelles (cad. C 354, 355) : classement par arrêté du 14 mai 1991
Description
Founded during the second half of the 13th century, this Cistercian abbey is located on a limestone rock, which is atypical for an order which often chooses sites in the valleys. This prompted designers to adopt unusual architectural choices for Cistercian architecture. The construction of the abbey was carried out between 1260 and 1280. In 1377, it was occupied by the English. In the middle of the 17th century, there were no more religious on site and the church was reclassified as parish, undergoing some modifications in 1669. In 1777, with the exception of the church still in service, the other buildings were in a state of ruin. In 1790, the abbey was sold to the town. In 1938, the monks' building and the eastern part of the church was demolished to make way for a pigsty. In 1954, the western facade of the Convers building was destroyed by explosion. During the 20th century, the abbey was exploited as a built stone career.