Picture of Saint-Sardos Church - MOSSOT - © Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr) Picture of Saint-Sardos Church - Sous licence Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr) - Par MOSSOT - © Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr) Picture of Saint-Sardos Church - Sous licence Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr) - Par MOSSOT - © Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr) Picture of Saint-Sardos Church - Sous licence Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr) - Par MOSSOT - © Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr)

Saint-Sardos : Saint-Sardos Church

Lot-et-Garonne

Reference

PA00084243

Latitude

44.340727893029

Longitude

0.4783114752024

Address

29 Le Bourg 47360 Saint-Sardos

Construction era

12e siècle

Protection date

1939/06/16 : classé MH

Protection cause

Le portail : classement par arrêté du 16 juin 1939

Description

In the 12th century, the priory of Saint-Sardos was under the authority of the Sarlat abbey. A town developed around the monastery. Between the 14th and 16th century, during the conflicts, the priory and his church underwent destruction and were partially ruined. The church was made up of a nave surrounded by two aisles and three oriented apses. In the 19th century, it was replaced by a new building, incorporating old elements, including the portal. The building retains carved capitals (original fall). The Romanesque portal is in the north, in a two -level tower which was raised to serve as a bell tower. Four columns decorate the return amounts. One of the capitals is decorated with leaves, while the other three have historical scenes. Holder archivolts are made up of four torus separated by gorges. A banner decorated with palmettes corresponds to the abacus. The eardrum is made up of a lintel on which a stone reaches with the keys of the hangers, and which is decorated with intertwining and firing. Two triangles were decorated with ocher paintings on bare stone, representing waders peaking flowers in vases. These works could date from the 15th or 16th century.

Close monuments