Saint-Martin-de-Sanzay : Sanzay Castle
Deux-SèvresReference
PA00101354
Latitude
47.06519638
Longitude
-0.18597364
Address
50 rue du bois de sanzay 79290 Brion-près-Thouet
Construction era
15e siècle;17e siècle;19e siècle
Protection date
1985/10/28 : inscrit MH
Protection cause
Château, y compris les portails et la fuye (cad. AM 60) : inscription par arrêté du 28 octobre 1985
Description
The castle was mentioned for the first time in 810. It was destroyed twice by the English, in the 12th and 14th centuries, before being rebuilt in the 15th century. In 1793, he was burnt down and his property was confiscated. The castle is surrounded by large moat filled with water. It is made up of several various buildings, forming an irregular almond -shaped plan, which surrounds an almost pentagonal courtyard. The old parts were built in pink-red siliceous stone, very present in the region, as well as in local bluish gray granite.
Close monuments
Saint-Martin-de-Sanzay • Deux-Sèvres
Saint-Martin Church
Saint-Cyr-la-Lande • Deux-Sèvres
Baugé Castle
Bagneux • Deux-Sèvres
Former Pont de Taizon (also in municipalities of Argenton-l'Eglise and Saint-Martin-de-Sanzay)
Saint-Martin-de-Sanzay • Deux-Sèvres