Saint-Esprit : Holy Spirit Church
MartiniqueReference
PA00135672
Latitude
14.56201137
Longitude
-60.93687594
Address
39 Rue Capitaine Pierre Rose 97270 Saint-Esprit
Construction era
1er quart 20e siècle;3e quart 20e siècle
Protection date
1995/03/16 : inscrit MH
Protection cause
Eglise, y compris le parvis et son emmarchement (cad. A 90) : inscription par arrêté du 16 mars 1995
Description
Originally, the church and the presbytery were at the current hospital. At the end of the 18th century, they were moved further east. In 1827, the church was deemed too small, and a budget of 15,500 F was provided for its enlargement, with part of the materials of the old church which would have been reused. In 1840, she was declared too old and subject to floods. An amount of 10,000 F is intended for its complete reconstruction, part of a total of 61,500 F reserved for the repair of the churches of the colony. Although a donation was made in 1841 to embellish the church, the new construction was still not completed in 1848. In 1855, the Private Council approved a church project whose cost was estimated at 85,000 F, and an additional 20,000 F was awarded in 1856 to finalize the work. In 1866 and 1884, the town allocates respectively 6,000 F and 4,972.73 F to strengthen and repair the new church, but it was destroyed by the cyclone of 1891. It was not until 1903 that the first stone of the current church was laid. The majority of the work was completed in 1907, but improvements continued during the following years, particularly under Father Tostivint, which was dependent from 1905 to 1913. The EDITH cyclone damages the wooden bell tower, which is rebuilt in brick and reinforced concrete in 1962. Significant restorations were completed in 2009.