Châteaudun : Building
Eure-et-LoirReference
PA00097065
Latitude
48.07078875
Longitude
1.32807536
Address
39 Place du 18 Octobre 28200 Châteaudun
Construction era
18e siècle
Protection date
1953/08/18 : inscrit MH
Protection cause
Façades et toitures sur la place avec retour sur les rues de Chartres et Toutfaire (cad. A 414) : inscription par arrêté du 18 août 1953
Description
On June 21, 1723, a fire destroyed more than a thousand homes in Châteaudun. Jules Hardouin, responsible for buildings, was responsible for reconstruction. He designed a checkered plan with a large place where there are public buildings and uniform houses. Place has a rectangular shape, the long side of which is almost equivalent to the diagonal of the square based on the short side. It was surrounded by shops with arcades. On both large sides, four large buildings were planned, exceeding the level of other houses. Two were built at the bottom of the square, one of which is the town hall, built in stone in 1777. However, the two large pavilions planned on the other side of the square have never been built and were replaced by a post office dating from 1900.